Anthony Burr and Charles Curtis - Chamber Music: Alvin Lucier & Morton Feldman - CD
1. Alvin Lucier: August Moon (2015)
2. Morton Feldman: Two Instruments (1958)
3. Alvin Lucier: Trio For Clarinet, Cello & Tuba (2008)
4. Morton Feldman: Three Clarinets, Cello And Piano (1971)
5. Alvin Lucier: Step, Slide and Sustain (2014)
6. Morton Feldman: Durations 2 (1960)
(scroll down below audio for more info)
Anthony Burr and Charles Curtis present this collection of curated compositions from Alvin Lucier and Morton Feldman. Two Lucier pieces, August Moon and Trio For Clarinet, Cello & Tuba are presented here for the first time. Liner notes are excerpted from a lecture on Morton Feldman given by Alvin Lucier.
“For Feldman, dynamics serve an acoustical function. When he mitigates a piano attack he reduces that spike of noise that’s at the onset of every piano sound leaving only the sinusoidal pure after-sound. It’s as if he invented electronic music with the piano.” Alvin Lucier from liner notes.
“Lucier manages to hear a layer of acoustical physics in Feldman’s music that perhaps no one else would hear. He’s hearing something in Feldman that is actually coming from his own musical world; in a way, hearing his own music in Feldman’s, and drawing inspiration from that.”